[Openvpn-users] Faster WAN file sharing over OpenVPN

I am currently running OpenVPN between two locations to share files with windows file sharing. I have noticed that it is pretty slow (slower than an ftp transfer between these locations) and was wondering if there is a faster alternative to windows file sharing? I can setup either a linux or windows server and the clients are all windows based.