Re: [Openvpn-users] Ip adress of openvpn server

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Ip adress of openvpn server
  • From: Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:23:21 -0500
  • Z-usanet-msgid: XID616LgbFXC0025X29

Andreas Krüger wrote:

Hello,

I’ve noticed that OpenVPN automatically binds itself to *.*.*.1 when it starts. Etc when i run a 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 network, it binds itself to 192.168.0.1.

It would really help if you told us if you're using routing (tun) or bridging (tap), and showed the server's config.  I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish (bridging, routing, are you creating a separate subnet for VPN clients or joining them to the existing LAN, those kinds of details.)

Now, here is my problem. I’m running such a mentioned network at my office. Though the problem is: 192.168.0.1 is used for the gateway, so the vpn server must not use that ip, but instead etc 192.168.0.250, but how do I make the server bind to that ip address?

Just set a different IP address using the ifconfig command, or if you're bridging a tap adapter to a LAN network interface, don't use ifconfig at all because your OS will set the address.

Further, will OpenVPN check if a ip address is in use before handing it out to clients. Because when I runs a 255.255.225.0 network, there could be some conflicts between the gateways dhcp server which handles ip addresses, and OpenVPNs dhcp server. Is it possible in OpenVPN to make a network range to be used for dhcp?

No, OpenVPN has no way of "checking" with an existing DHCP server to see if the address is free.  Use a dedicated range of IP's for VPN clients, or set up a unique subnet so that the OpenVPN server can own the entire subnet without needing to worry about what range of addresses is being used.

--
Josh