Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Bridging - Windows XP - DHCP

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Bridging - Windows XP - DHCP
  • From: Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:17:23 -0500
  • Z-usanet-msgid: XID629LgXcRf0497X39

Vincent wrote:
> I have, hopefully, an easy question.  I have setup a small, bridged OpenVPN
> across our different store locations under Windows XP.  All seems to work well
> with one small hiccup.  Occasionally, one of the client computers at one
> location will pull a DHCP lease from  a router at one of the other stores.
> Needless to say, this leads to some problems.  Is there a way to prevent DHCP
> traffic from crossing the VPN or a way to specify the DHCP server to be used
> under Windows XP?  Thank you for your assistance.
> Vincent

With DHCP most clients accept the first offer it gets, and that's
usually going to be the local DHCP server, but not always depending on
conditions; this leads to the behavior your noticed.  Don't use a
bridged setup if you don't want all the DHCP servers to respond to every
DHCP request.  Bridging is logistically the same as connecting each site
together with a switch.  If you don't want broadcast traffic (like DHCP
requests) to traverse the sites then use a routed setup with tun
adapters (not tap.)