Re: [Openvpn-users] MULTI: bad source address from client [], packet dropped

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] MULTI: bad source address from client [], packet dropped
  • From: "Peter Njiiri" <pnjiiri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:53:54 +0400

Hi Erich
Well hidden problem indeed on the tun interface, the VPN works with or without the redirect-gateway it's only that the error shows up on the server and I assume that my connection could be slower because of this error as opposed to if it didn't come up.  I tried ethernet bridging (tap 0) from my Linux machine and it worked, that is the errors didn't come up. I think it didn't work on my Windows machine as the openVPN installation didn't create a TAP interface,I cannot see it on Network Neighbourhood (maybe because I'm connecting via USB to my ADSL cable modem and not using the ethernet network card or it's just Windows XP Home Edition problem???) so the only option is to use the TUN interface. Otherwise, the problem may either be in the routing or maybe it could be a gateway/firewall issue???
Kind Regards

Peter Njiiri wrote:
> Hi Erich,
> Below is the tcpdump,I believe that the source address can be seen as
> shown below. I tried doing an ethernet bridging and though connection
> was successful, I couldn't ping the physical nic or tap0 interface
> between the client and server and vice versa after starting bridge-start
> and starting openvpn. I configured bridge-start with the physical nic
> for eth settings while I added/modified the following settings in the
> server.conf:

> I think I will now have to ignore the MULTI: bad source address
> from client [], packet dropped error as the VPN seems to
> work as it's able to redirect everything through the VPN.

I was of the impression your tunnel did not work. The attached tcpdump
does not show any anomalies to me, so I assume this is a well hidden