[Openvpn-users] ifconfig-pool-persist question

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] ifconfig-pool-persist question
  • From: Peter Barwich <pbarwich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:48:34 +0100

I am a little unclear on how the ifconfig-pool-persist
(ipp.txt) feature works.  Is this a file I can create to
define a mapping of clients to IP addresses assigned to them
by the OpenVPN server?  If so, is the syntax of this file documented?

It's automatically populated as addresses are handed out, and then used when
clients re-connect to get the same ip address.

I don't see explicit documentation, but looking at mine, it appears to be a
text file, two fields comma-separated with the first being the common name
of the cert, and the second being the ip address.  For example heres an
excerpt from mine:

ppc6700,192.168.173.161
ipaq4700,192.168.173.162
ipaq4150,192.168.173.163
x30,192.168.173.164
plexus,192.168.173.165
PortableApps001,192.168.173.166

So I guess you could indeed pre-populate it if needed.

-Dave
Pre population doesn't seem to work; it just gets rewritten the way openvpn 'thinks' it should be. Use client-config-dir instead with files for each client machine in the directory you choose.

Peter