Re: [Openvpn-users] Success story (and some small complaints about the HOWTO)

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Success story (and some small complaints about the HOWTO)
  • From: Tony <kb2wjw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:49:06 +0400

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:46:59 +0400, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>

>> It took me quite a while to realise that many parts were actually
>> working, but I needed to _masquerade_ the client.  AFAICT this was not
>> mentioned anywhere, and I felt like a complete moron that the
>> QuickStart did not work for me.
> You should have realized the tunnel itself was working when you could
> ping the endpoint address or connect to services on the server using
> that address.
The same thing happened to me - I was trying to prepare a client laptop to
connect to my OpenVPN server by it's public IP. The problem was that my
laptop was sitting on the same LAN as my server!
Luckily, I use GUI (on winXP-SP2) and it clearly showed the error
messages... However, it took me quite a time to recognise what do I do
wrong... As soon as I disconnected my laptop from my LAN and used GPRS to
connect "from the outside" - everything miraculously worked.

Indeed, the QuickStart needs some polishing, or a "QuickStart for Dummyes"
is needed too.
Actually, on the afterthough, setting up the OpenVPN is really easy, one
just needs to avoid the obvious pitfalls.

Openvpn-users mailing list