Re: [Openvpn-users] Performance Bottleneck

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Performance Bottleneck
  • From: "Henric Rosvall" <henric@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:23:25 +0200

Now I've changed NIC, and as expected, it didn't make any difference.
The weirdest part, is that performance really isn't restricted to the 110-130 KB/s that I'm getting. If I use several threads to retrieve different files, I can easilly get the 1 MB/s that I get with a single thread on my Vista-machine.
The performance also changes somewhat depending on the protocol used. But that is perhaps to be expected. NetBIOS gives ~110-130 KB/s, while HTTP gives around 250-260 KB/s. But it's still a bit off the 1 MB/s that I should be getting.
Any ideas on what to do now? Since a change in OS from Win 2003 Server to Linux didn't make any difference, I'm leaning towards the hardware causing this, but the CPU is only used around 8-10% when transferring, the NIC has been changed, and the system can easilly download 7 MB/s from the LAN and 2 MB/s from internet outside the VPN. So where can the bottleneck be? The machine has very little memory (256 MB), but transferring through VPN shouldn't be much more more memory-intensive than transferring it outside the VPN, right? (and there is about 30-50 MB free RAM when transferring - both in Linux and Windows, and if it was memory-related the speeds should vary much more than they do when rewriting the cache).
Henric Rosvall