[Openvpn-users] Performance Bottleneck

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Performance Bottleneck
  • From: "Henric Rosvall" <henric@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:34:43 +0200

Hi!

I have a machine with Windows Server 2003, a 2.26 Ghz processor and 256 MB memory. This is supposed to transfer the backups from the servers at work every night using an encrypted connection with OpenVPN. The problem I'm having, is the speed at which it transfers the data. On my normal computer (2x2.4 Ghz, 2 GB memory, Vista x64) I get around 1 MB/s in transferrate when I connect in the exact same way as with the backup-transfer-machine (Save version of VPN-software, same localtion, same configuration, and such). On the backup-machine i get around 110-130 KB/s. So the speed is almost 1/10 of the speed I'm getting with my workstation.
I just figured the Windows Client was a bit buggy, so I spent a better part of the day installing Ubuntu on the backup-transfer-machine, and eventually getting OpenVPN to work. But even in Ubuntu I get the same speed as in Windows, so there must be something else that's wrong. Any ideas of what might solve the problem? A different network-card? More memory? Something else?

Regards
Henric Rosvall