[Openvpn-users] Does mDNS (Mac OS X Bonjour) currently work in a bridged OpenVPN configuration?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Does mDNS (Mac OS X Bonjour) currently work in a bridged OpenVPN configuration?
  • From: Michael Durket <durket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:17:32 -0700

Hello,

   I'm considering setting up a "Road Warrior" style VPN between
a Mac OS X laptop and a mixed network of Linux and Mac OS X
machines on a common subnet behind a DSL link. One of the requirements
is that Bonjour must work (i.e. the remote laptop has to appear to
be on the same local link as the other machines). One of the linux
hosts on this network will act as the VPN server.

   From what I understand, VPNs using IPSec will not work in this
setup, because IPSec doesn't handle multicast well (and possibly
also cannot bridge?). I understand from reading documentation on
the OpenVPN web site that it can bridge (using the tap driver).
I've also seen some other (older) items on the mailing list and
various blogs and web sites indicating that there may be problems
with getting Bonjour to work (either involving mDNS patches from
Apple) and/or issues with the tap driver (newer Apple security
releases breaking it, installation issues, etc).

   So what I'd like to know is:

     As of now, assuming that the Mac OS X machines are running
Tiger with all the latest Apple security releases applied, and
assuming I use the current version of OpenVPN and the current
release of Tunnelblick, will Bonjour work on an OpenVPN bridge?

    Has anybody actually done this?

    Thanks,

    Michael Durket