Re: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency
  • From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:05:10 -0500

Dave Swegen wrote:
> On 7/10/07, *Les Mikesell* <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>     Dave Swegen wrote:
>      > As an example loading a webpage over the same wifi link without using
>      > openvpn or tinyproxy takes maybe 2 seconds. Using openvpn +
>     tinyproxy it
>      > takes maybe 30-40 seconds. So while I would expect to see some speed
>      > difference I'm surprised the difference is that large (if it
>     would help  I
>      > can provide more exact timings).
>     That sounds like your first choice DNS server is failing when openvpn is
>     running and you have to retry with the 2nd one.  Check the routes to
>     see
>       - or test them with dig or nslookup.
> Sounds unlikely to me, as it is tinyproxy doing the lookups, not the
> laptop, and the dns server is dnsmasq running on the same machine as
> tinyproxy and openvpn server. Or have I missed something?

30 seconds just sounds like the time for a DNS timeout/retry, so that's
my first guess, and the quick check is to run nslookup with and without
the openvpn connection up (check both the response time and the
answering server).  Is the tinyproxy configuration specified as a name
so you need a lookup before even reaching it?
OpenVPN mailing lists