Re: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency
  • From: "Dave Swegen" <dswegen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:30:11 +0100

On 7/10/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave Swegen wrote:

> As an example loading a webpage over the same wifi link without using
> openvpn or tinyproxy takes maybe 2 seconds. Using openvpn + tinyproxy it
> takes maybe 30-40 seconds. So while I would expect to see some speed
> difference I'm surprised the difference is that large (if it would help  I
> can provide more exact timings).

That sounds like your first choice DNS server is failing when openvpn is
running and you have to retry with the 2nd one.  Check the routes to see
  - or test them with dig or nslookup.

Sounds unlikely to me, as it is tinyproxy doing the lookups, not the laptop, and the dns server is dnsmasq running on the same machine as tinyproxy and openvpn server. Or have I missed something?

Cheers
    Dave