Re: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency
  • From: "Dave Swegen" <dswegen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:16:30 +0100

On 7/10/07, Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

Dave Swegen wrote:
> I've run into a somewhat strange issue with the speed of HTTP traffic
> over an openvpn link between my laptop and the gateway running openvpn +
> tinyproxy.

What if you let tinyproxy off the issue?

Will try that - though since it works fine over SSH and SSH over openvpn I doubt it will make any difference. But hey, these are computers, and anything is possible :)

> As an example loading a webpage over the same wifi link without using
> openvpn or tinyproxy takes maybe 2 seconds. Using openvpn + tinyproxy it
> takes maybe 30-40 seconds. So while I would expect to see some speed
> difference I'm surprised the difference is that large (if it would help
> I can provide more exact timings).

This is way too much, do a packet dump on the respective interfaces to
see if you have packet loss.

By this do you mean both the real and virtual (tun0) interface?

Cheers
    Dave