Re: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency
  • From: Alexandros Papadopoulos <apap@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:02:21 +0300

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 11:28, Dave Swegen wrote:
> I've run into a somewhat strange issue with the speed of HTTP traffic over
> an openvpn link between my laptop and the gateway running openvpn +
> tinyproxy.
>
> As an example loading a webpage over the same wifi link without using
> openvpn or tinyproxy takes maybe 2 seconds. Using openvpn + tinyproxy it
> takes maybe 30-40 seconds. So while I would expect to see some speed
> difference I'm surprised the difference is that large (if it would help  I
> can provide more exact timings).

This should definitely not be happening. Overhead is miniscule and should not
be noticeable in slow transactions like web surfing.

WIFI link? Could this be an MTU issue? Can you check the network statistics
(retransmits etc) of your access point when using OpenVPN?

Check out http://openvpn.net/faq.html (search for mssfix)