[Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] HTTP over openvpn latency
  • From: "Dave Swegen" <dswegen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:28:21 +0100

I've run into a somewhat strange issue with the speed of HTTP traffic over an openvpn link between my laptop and the gateway running openvpn + tinyproxy.

As an example loading a webpage over the same wifi link without using openvpn or tinyproxy takes maybe 2 seconds. Using openvpn + tinyproxy it takes maybe 30-40 seconds. So while I would expect to see some speed difference I'm surprised the difference is that large (if it would help  I can provide more exact timings).

Initially I was willing to put that down to the extra overhead openvpn was imposing on my server (a rather feeble Via Epia based machine).

What made it interesting was that tunneling HTTP traffic over SSH over openvpn improved performance back into the realms of usability once again.

This behavior is seen with both UDP and TCP configs of openvpn. I'm not seeing any dropped packets (at least according to ifconfig). The client and server configs are pretty vanilla, with only compression turned on.

The server is as mentioned a  Via Epia running Debian etch, and the laptop is running Ubuntu Feisty. The server has got a firewall running, which is set to let anything coming in over tunN through.

Any thoughts on the matter, or how to investigate further would be appreciated, as having to go over SSH in addition to openvpn just seems, well, hacky.

Cheers
    Dave