Re: [Openvpn-users] Openvpn and win2003 as a internet gateway?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Openvpn and win2003 as a internet gateway?
  • From: "Thor Selnes" <thor918@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:50:19 +0200

>I'd be inclined to simplify things a bit: -
>
>Firstly don't push the gateway until you have a reliable connection. Delete "push "redirect-gateway def1""

Hmm accourding to the howto of openvpn, this is the way one sets openvpn to route all client traffic trough the tunnel.

>Secondly don't try and assign IPs to your vpn by WINS until you have sorted out a connection. OVPN will assign the >vpn addresses. There are, I believe, ways to allow WINS to assign IPs in the servers own LAN subnet, but there are >some difficulties with tun adaptors in that you need to use /30 subnets. Is that why you use 10.0.0.121] to keep it >well away from LAN addresses?

The ip that is dropped is the IP of the client’s ip. That will change when the client uses another network to access internet.  But as I said in another message. Upgrading openvpn to the latest release magically fixed all my problems, so I’m guessing I met a bug that has been dealt with.

>And thirdly I'm not sure you need your ccd file directive (iroute 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0) This is supposed to be telling >the server where the clients LAN subnet is, but it is the same subnet as the VPN which will be a problem. Have a >look at http://openvpn.net/howto.html#scope, which implies that this is needed if you want machines on the >client LAN to have access to the server LAN. Again, keep it simple to begin with

Hehe. I’m not sure either. I put it there simply because I was running out of ideas on how to fix my problems.

I removed the ccd line in my working config. And upgraded openvpn to the latest release. It’s working now.