Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows file sharing - tap?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows file sharing - tap?
  • From: "Serge Wautier" <serge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 17:02:07 +0200

Actually, tun is most likely more efficient in terms of performances.
The interest of tap is to let broadcast messages through thereby enabling
functions such as network browsers, which may prove useful. But this comes
at a cost: the broadcast traffic (+ lower layers such as ARP, not present in
routed (tun) networks) goes through the tunnel.

Actually, tuning/securing a TAP network is a more difficult and tedious task
than a tun network.