Re: [Openvpn-users] vpn vs scp

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] vpn vs scp
  • From: "Eero Volotinen" <eero.volotinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:50:48 +0300 (EEST)

> This may be a dumb question, but what are the advantages of setting
> up a vpn over using scp?
>
> To remotely connect to my file server I installed WinSCP (WinXP).  I
> can browse and open files like normal.  I can also set up a private
> key to use for additional security.

VPN provides also access to all services without special client. So for
example you
can browse windows disk shares using pure winxp explorer. I think that
WinSCP is
not really flexible solution.

But it depends what you need, if winscp is solution for you then you use
it and
live happy for rest of your life.

In my use VPN provides easy access to windows shares and servers without
compromising
security.

--
Eero