[Openvpn-users] Connection loss

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Connection loss
  • From: "Hugo Leisink" <hugoleisink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:26:00 +0200

Hi,

I'm having a problem with OpenVPN. When I connect to my server at home, sometimes the connections is lost after a few minutes. I can't find anything in the logfile that tells me why. I have absolutly no idea why this happens and I have not been able to reproduce the problem. It just happens randomly. Sometimes the connection stays up for hours (I use the connection for browsing, reading and sending e-mails, downloading) and sometimes the connection drops shortly after I connected. I use Debian Etch on my server (OpenVPN 2.0.9 i486-pc-linux-gnu [SSL] [LZO] [EPOLL] built on Jan 21 2007) and Windows as the client. This is my server config file:

mode server
tls-server

dev tap0
up /etc/openvpn/leisink/bridge-add

port 443
verb 4
proto tcp-server
#proto udp

cert /etc/openvpn/leisink/leisink.pem
key /etc/openvpn/leisink/leisink.pem
ca /etc/ssl/cacert.pem
crl-verify /etc/ssl/crl.pem
dh /etc/openvpn/leisink/dh1024.pem

key-method 2
comp-lzo

ping 10
ping-exit 60

push "route 10.4.0.0 255.255.0.0"
push "dhcp-option DOMAIN lan"
push "dhcp-option DNS 10.4.0.1"
push "ping 10"
push "ping-exit 60"

writepid /var/run/openvpn.leisink.pid

My LAN interface (eth1) and VPN interface (tap0) are combined in a bridge interface (br0). The bridge-add script:

/sbin/ifconfig tap0 up
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 tap0

and my Windows config file:

tls-client
remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
port 443
proto tcp-client
dev tap
dev-node "Home"
comp-lzo
verb 4
key-method 2
pull
key hugo.pem
cert hugo.pem
ca leisink_cacert.pem

I'm using the same configuration on another server, but that one uses UDP. I have the same problem there. Sometimes the connection stays up for hours, sometimes it drops. The difference is that that connection drops about every 15 minutes. This VPN connection is used to play LAN games via the internet, so the client-to-client option is added to the server configuration.

Anyone who can give me some advice to find the source of this problem?