Re: [Openvpn-users] iTunes sharing over OpenVPN?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] iTunes sharing over OpenVPN?
  • From: Michael Flaig <mflaig@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:25:08 +0200

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 22.06.2007, 17:08 -0400 schrieb Philip Brocoum:
> Ok, so I've set up my OpenVPN connection between my home (iMac, the
> server) and work (Windows, the client) computers because I want to
> share my home iTunes with my work iTunes. The VPN works when I use
> "ping" at the command line so the VPN must be connected.

I then think OpenVPN is all good :-)

> However, no shared libraries show up in iTunes. I imagine I need some
> more configuration of OpenVPN? Maybe this "routing" that I've heard
> of?

Ah I'm not an expert on itunes sharing, but I think that it uses some
kind of mulitcast dns (mDNS) which I suppose does not get transported
through the tunnel.

On linux there is a projekt called avahi which does the same as apple
with their products to make services available to other computers, maybe
you get some tech info there. http://avahi.org/

> I mean, basically I just want to set it up so that it appears my work
> computer is on my home network, which I think is what VPNs do...

Yes and no ... :)
If you use seperate networks (subnets) and therefore need routing it
isn't the same.

> Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Apple announced at the last WWDC that with Leopard you can easily access
your home computer (even encrypted - wow ;-)) but they seem to use
their .mac service to make files and itunes sharing possible between
computer that are not on the same subnet. They are not using any kind of
vpn afaik.

> Btw, I use accessTunes, but since I'm a computer nerd I like to mess
> around with things like OpenVPN because I think it's fun.

never heard of accesstunes :)

> Ok, reply if you can help me =)

did anyway ;-)

Regards,