Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn on Debian setup

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn on Debian setup
  • From: Tim Freedom <tim_freedom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 22:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Instead, remember that a bridged setup is going to give the VPN client
> an IP address as if that client had a really long Ethernet cable that
> could stretch to the location of the VPN server.  This means that if you
> want your router on, this is the address you must used in the
> server-bridge directive in OpenVPN and your bridge setup.  When creating
> a bridge, both tap0 and eth1 loose their individual identity and act as
> a single logical network interface so that both VPN clients and LAN
> clients see it as a local computer.

Thanks Josh for your reply, the only reason I introduced 172.20.x.x
was to avoid cases where the roaming laptops out there were assigned
an IP address already in my LAN - isn't that a problem or does it even
matter ?  In other words, assume in my LAN I have a PC with an IP address
of and someone in their hotel room gets assigned on
their roaming/warrior laptop (DHCP just happened to set it to that) -
will this laptop/user be able to VPN back to the office (there would
be a clash, no) ?  If this is indeed a problem how is this issue
addressed otherwise I'm cool with simply using for the bridge.

Sorry if I'm being dense just trying to figure out how to proceed.

Thanks again...

OpenVPN mailing lists