[Openvpn-users] TAP Adapter STILL fails to install on Windows 2000

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] TAP Adapter STILL fails to install on Windows 2000
  • From: "James Miller" <jimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:52:18 -0500

James Miller wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm running into an issue trying to install a TAP adapter on a Win2K IIS5
>> server. I've tried running the command by hand and the failure notice
isn't
>> very revealing:
>>
>> C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin>tapinstall install ..\driver\OemWin2k.inf
>> tap0801
>> Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are updated...
>> Updating drivers for tap0801 from C:\Program
>> Files\OpenVPN\driver\OemWin2k.inf.
>> tapinstall failed.
>>
>> I'm running the latest openvpn win32 install (2.0.7)
>> The server is a quad PIII server running Windows 2000 SP4 with all the
>> updates.
>> The only special installation procedures was running the IIS Lockdown
tool
>> (iislockd.exe) when the server was setup.
>>
>> I've not run into an issue like this in the past and was hoping someone
>> might have a pointer to get around this.
>>

> try
>
> prompt> C:
> prompt> cd "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\driver"
> prompt> ..\bin\tapinstall install OemWin2k.inf
>
> or
>
> prompt> C:
> prompt> cd "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\driver"
> prompt> deltapall.bat
> # this script will remove ALL tap drivers!
> prompt> addtap.bat
> # this will create ONE tap/tun driver
>
> luck!
>

> cya,
> Denis

I find it pretty crazy 1yr to the day later, I'm still having  this issue.
I tried what you suggested Denis and I get the same results.  The only thing
I can think of, when I built the server (+4yrs ago) I ran several 'lock
down' procedures and one of those might have removed the ability to be able
to add the TAP-Win32 device.  I don't know -- grasping at straws here.

In researching this issue I ran into a post about the RunOnce key possibly
missing from the Registry, but that wasn't' the case for me.  It was there:
1. Go to Start Run and enter "regedit."
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. With CurrentVersion Highlighted, go to the Edit menu and select New Key
4. Name the key RunOnce, leaving everything else about the key alone.
5. The RunOnce key should now exist underneath the CurrentVersion key.
6. Once the key exists, Windows 2000/XP stops redetecting the Hardware

I sure would appreciate it if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks,
--Jim