Re: [Openvpn-users] remote client resolve hostnames on VPN's LAN?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] remote client resolve hostnames on VPN's LAN?
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:36:24 +0000

Jeff Crocker wrote:
> Update…
> I am able to connect via VPN connection if I enter the hostname WITH
> the domain. For example…
> I have an Asus router at on my LAN given the hostname
> "asus". The local domain is "cg.lan". If I enter "asus.cg.lan" it
> resolves. If I enter only "asus", it does not, BUT when I'm directly
> connected to the LAN (no VPN), "asus" DOES work.
> At this point, it's somewhat of a moot point because it does work by
> entering the full name, but I would like to learn why it works this
> way. Why can't I enter only "asus" when connected via the VPN?

One of the weird things in Windoze name resolution. When you are remote,
you probably use DNS exclusively and when you want to use unqualified
DNS names you will have to have cg.lan in your domain search list. This
may be automatically pushed by DHCP locally, but bay be missing in your
openvpn serrver configuration.

Openvpn-users mailing list