[Openvpn-users] ANNOUNCE: OpenVpnSocketGui, a simple GUI that plays well on Vista

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] ANNOUNCE: OpenVpnSocketGui, a simple GUI that plays well on Vista
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:49:37 -0500

I've written a very rudimentary Windows UI for OpenVPN, the main feature
of which is that it uses the management interface -- and so works well
with OpenVPN running as a service on Vista. It's not remotely as
full-featured or robust as Mathias's GUI, and anyone who can use
Mathias's solution should; that said, it's adequate to connect to an
OpenVPN instance, release a management hold, prompt for any passwords
needed, and display any log messages the OpenVPN instance provides.

The code is written in Boo [http://boo.codehaus.org/], a Pythonic
language targeting the CLR. It's presently written to target WinForms;
I'd typically use Gtk#, but SharpDevelop (which I was using) has a GUI
builder for WinForms built in, so I took the path of little resistance.

Source, binary, bugtracker and more are available from
https://launchpad.net/openvpnsocketgui/. I don't have much time to work
on this (it was written to support internal staff, and as long as it's
good enough for them it's a spare-time project at best), but patches
will be gratefully accepted, and bug reports may even get worked on someday.

You'll need to configure OpenVPN to run as a service to use this, and
additionally add some directives to the end of your .ovpn file. Read the
README before trying to use this code. Void where prohibited, YMMV, etc etc.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Openvpn-users mailing list