Re: [Openvpn-users] Beginner's questions on setting up simple VPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Beginner's questions on setting up simple VPN
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:36:57 +0200

Hi Yang

going back to your original messages

Yang schrieb:
> Hi, I'd like to have home access to my work LAN, which is behind a
> firewall. What I currently do is set up a remote ssh tunnel from work:
>
>   ssh -R 8822:localhost:22 homeusername@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Then to access from home, I do:
>
>   ssh -p 8822 workusername@localhost
>
> >From this point on, I can similarly create other ssh tunnels. The
> problem is that this approach requires creating a tunnel for each
> unique (host, port) pair, which is getting to be very tedious. I'm
> hoping VPNs can help me out here. Ideally, any packets I send to
> 172.24._._ (the work LAN) from my home computer will be routed through
> my work box and reach the appropriate (host, port) at work.

This is the easy part, but routing the packets back from that host is
the challenge. SSH tunnels do that by proxying. If you want to do the
same with a VPN tunnel then either you will have to tell those hosts
which way to go, because your traffic is not masqueraded by default.

> Is this really necessary? Can openvpn instead do something similar to
> what ssh does and proxy my packets?

Yes, masquerading the packets coming from your vpn tunnel at your
station at work will do the job.

cheers