Re: [Openvpn-users] Beginner's questions on setting up simple VPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Beginner's questions on setting up simple VPN
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:25:55 +0200

Hi

Yang schrieb:
> My impression was that the server's network is the one that gets
> shared with the client, but if the opposite can happen, then I suppose
> I don't need to tunnel over SSH. (As you can see, I'm a bit lost. :)

SSH tunnels, which you appear to be used to, allow you a certain number
of predefined connections, whereas a VPN tunnel is what the name
implies, a _tunnel_. It does not share anything by itself, but it allows
you to open connections to a remote site by using the tunnel as if it
was a dedicated network. If you can use the standard ports, do so, if
you have to go through a restrictive firewall (apparently port 22 is
open) then use one of the allowed ports. No need to tunnel through SSH.

I suggest to look into the simple examples in the docs. If you get stuck
there come back here with details.

cheers

Erich