[Openvpn-users] Packet Loss Over a OpenVPN Connection

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Packet Loss Over a OpenVPN Connection
  • From: "Jim O'Gorman" <jogorman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:43:53 -0500

I am troubleshooting a issue that has a me a tad bit confused, and if anyone has a nudge in the proper direction for me that would be great.

I have a vpn connection that has been working fine for a number of months (over a year really). One endpoint is here in the states, the other in Shanghai. This last week however, the transfer rates on the line have gone to pot.

With this being a overseas connection, to China no less, it is complicating tracking down the source of the problem for me. I don't really believe that anything is wrong with the VPN software (OpenVPN 2.0.9 i386-unknown-openbsd4.0 [SSL] [LZO] built on Jan  5 2007), but I have noticed something rather interesting.

Packet loss over the unencrypted link is sitting at roughly 2%, over the encrypted link it is 22%. Transfer rates over the unencrypted line is faster as well. I will put the server config at the end of this message as well. Load on the endpoints is fairly light as well, one host is a 733Mhz machine, the other is a 450.

Any ideas on what might account for the difference in encrypted vs unencrypted traffic?

Thanks for any advice.

port 1194
proto udp
dev tun1
cert PATH
key PATH
mode server
server IP
client-config-dir /etc/openvpn/client-configs
# Client should attempt reconnection on link failure.
ping 10
ping-restart 120
push "ping 10"
push "ping-restart 60"