[Openvpn-users] Packet Loss Over a OpenVPN Connection

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Packet Loss Over a OpenVPN Connection
  • From: "Jim O'Gorman" <jogorman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:43:53 -0500

I am troubleshooting a issue that has a me a tad bit confused, and if anyone has a nudge in the proper direction for me that would be great.

I have a vpn connection that has been working fine for a number of months (over a year really). One endpoint is here in the states, the other in Shanghai. This last week however, the transfer rates on the line have gone to pot.

With this being a overseas connection, to China no less, it is complicating tracking down the source of the problem for me. I don't really believe that anything is wrong with the VPN software (OpenVPN 2.0.9 i386-unknown-openbsd4.0 [SSL] [LZO] built on Jan  5 2007), but I have noticed something rather interesting.

Packet loss over the unencrypted link is sitting at roughly 2%, over the encrypted link it is 22%. Transfer rates over the unencrypted line is faster as well. I will put the server config at the end of this message as well. Load on the endpoints is fairly light as well, one host is a 733Mhz machine, the other is a 450.

Any ideas on what might account for the difference in encrypted vs unencrypted traffic?

Thanks for any advice.
Jim

port 1194
proto udp
dev tun1
comp-lzo
ca PATH
cert PATH
key PATH
dh PATH
mode server
server IP 255.255.255.0
client-to-client
client-config-dir /etc/openvpn/client-configs
# Client should attempt reconnection on link failure.
ping 10
ping-restart 120
push "ping 10"
push "ping-restart 60"