[Openvpn-users] Recommended IP address for bigger networks.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Recommended IP address for bigger networks.
  • From: Oliver Schinagl <oliver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 16:27:15 +0200

I was just wondering. I'm trying to setup a VPN using several small
nets. Each network has a 10.X.0.0 network address. E.g.
network A has as it's first address, and network B
uses C would be etc etc

Now i read that routed tun was faster and more efficient than
routed/bridged tap, so i'll stick with the first. This however means
that my VPN will get it's own address range to play with. Since I am
thining of having an openvpn server on each host, and clients to the
other servers, some tricky routing/configuring will be required.

Initially I was thinking of using for the VPN server on network
A. but what netmask would be wisest to use here? and
tell network A via routes that over that tunnel it can reach the network? Or designate an entire network range for VPN, to
get the VPN ip's out of the network itself, e.g. make all VPN servers
take an address out of the pool, so that server on network
A would get, network B would then have etc. This
would also require proper routing, but seems to make more sense.

Thanks on your thoughts,
OpenVPN mailing lists