[Openvpn-users] Unique situation (I think)

Hell gurus, I am faced with a somewhat unique situation.  Here is our scenario:

Main OpenVPN Server conf:

port 1194

proto udp

dev tun

ca easy-rsa/keys/ca.crt

cert easy-rsa/keys/server1.crt

key easy-rsa/keys/server1.key

dh easy-rsa/keys/dh2048.pem

ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt

client-config-dir ccd

keepalive 10 120

tls-auth easy-rsa/keys/ta.key 0

user nobody

group nobody

status openvpn-status.log

log         openvpn.log

verb 3

Client conf:

dev tun

proto udp

remote XX.XXX.XXX.XXX 1194

remote XX.XX.XXX.XX 1194

resolv-retry infinite

ca ca.crt

cert XXXX.crt

key XXXX.key

ns-cert-type server

tls-auth ta.key 1

verb 3

log openvpn.log

up /usr/viewtouch/dat/scripts/Openvpn-Reconnect

Typical ccd file:

We have about 85 locations which are all exact mirrors of each other.  We have a router at (with varying connectivity, DSL, cable etc) and a POS system at which is the OpenVPN client.  Each of our locations gets a fixed OpenVPN IP via it’s ccd file.  Our main application lives on the OpenVPN server and it connects to a software socket listener on the POS system.  This application actually binds to the OpenVPN Server IP.  For example:

On the OpenVPN server we have defined location A as on port 9999.   Our main application connects from (the OpenVPN server) to on port 9999.  So straight across the P-T-P link between the server and the client.

Now, what if the destination moved to a device other than the OpenVPN client.  Such as in each location?  I guess what I am asking is can I somehow contact the same address behind the OpenVPN client in differing locations?  I had been thinking of maybe using IP aliasing of some sort, or perhaps could I pass along a small subnet of 10.8.0.x to each location via OpenVPN?

I hope this makes sense and someone can help point me in the direction of a viable solution.  We cannot re-ip each location due to the logistics involved.

Ed Russell
Manager, Information Technology
Teriyaki Experience
700 Kerr Street Suite 100