[Openvpn-users] tapinstall.exe failed

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] tapinstall.exe failed
  • From: Arrakis <arrakistor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:45:37 -0500

While installing OpenVPN 2.0.9 on an WinXP Home, SP2 the following error
occured:

"An error occurred installing the TAP-Win32 device driver"

At install log on the NSI screen, we get:

tapinstall hwids returned: 0
TAP-Win32 UPDATE
Updating drivers for tap0801 from C:\Program
Files\OpenVPN\driver\OemWin2k.inf.
tapinstall.exe failed.
tapinstall update returned: 2
tapinstall cumulative status: 2

When attempting to manually install the driver, I get "installation failed"

Upon checking the event logs on the system, there are no errors.

Please help. I have found one reference to this bug, but nobody
responded or gave solution.

Additionally, I commonly have users reporting the BSOD error:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL