[Openvpn-users] remote client unable to ping clients on server's LAN (route problem)

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] remote client unable to ping clients on server's LAN (route problem)
  • From: "Jeff Crocker" <jeffcrocker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 18:14:13 -0700

First of all, I've worked on this for hours and haven't been able to
get it to work. I do realize similar scenarios have been posted, but I
need additional help!

I have successfully setup a VPN. Remote client is able to ping VPN
server, but I want to take it one step further.

I want the remote client to be able to communicate with other
computers/printers/etc on the VPN server's LAN (192.168.1.0).

OpenVPN Server…
LAN IP: 192.168.1.99
SM: 255.255.255.0
GW: 192.168.1.1 (D-Link router)
DNS: 192.168.1.1
VPN IP: 10.255.255.1

Remote Client…
LAN IP:192.168.0.10
SM: 255.255.255.0
GW: 192.168.0.1 (Linksys router)
DNS: 192.168.0.1
VPN IP: 10.255.255.45

I have added  "push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"" to the OpenVPN
server's config. I understand that I must add a route on the remote
client in order to find other clients on the OpenVPN Server's LAN.
This is where I'm confused…

Must I add a line in the remote client's OpenVPN config file? Or, must
I type a command at the command prompt to add the route? Either way,
please provide specific instructions as I'm a newb (Windows XP).

I hope this is enough information. Please let me know if I need to
provide additional info.