Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Server redundency

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Server redundency
  • From: Felix Kronlage <fkr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 00:26:25 +0200

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 10:09:57AM -0400, Matt Shields wrote:

> I have 2 servers setup and use rsync to mirror the config.  Only one
> is active and I'm using Linux Virtual Server (heartbeat) to manage
> which one is active.  So if server 1 dies, server 2 takes over the
> virtual IP and starts up openvpn server.

we've been doing the same thing, just with OpenBSD and CARP'ed PF.
Works perfectly. The setup has one minor annoyance:

unlike with IPSec and sasyncd, there is (to my knowledge) currently
no way to keep 2 (or more) OpenVPN Servers in sync regarding the currently
active clients. Means: if the master dies, the client has to reconnect
to the (former slave) new master.

has anyone tried to tackle this?

felix