[Openvpn-users] easy rsa creating empty request files

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] easy rsa creating empty request files
  • From: "Bart van den Heuvel" <bart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 19:42:07 +0200

Hello,

I’m new to this list and I hope very much that you can help me with the following problem. I have trouble creating new certificates on a system that has been running OpenVPN for 1,5 years.

Using the easy rsa system the cert requests are created without a error message, but the result is empty files.

This is a sudden problem, it has been working perfectly for a long time.

Thanks,

Bart van den Heuvel

This is the error I get when openssl tries to sign the empty request:

server:/local/openvpn/easy-rsa# ./build-key-pass username

Generating a 2048 bit RSA private key

.............................................................+++

........................+++

writing new private key to 'username.key'

Enter PEM pass phrase:

Verifying - Enter PEM pass phrase:

phrase is too short, needs to be at least 4 chars

Enter PEM pass phrase:

Verifying - Enter PEM pass phrase:

-----

You are about to be asked to enter information that will be incorporated

into your certificate request.

What you are about to enter is what is called a Distinguished Name or a DN.

There are quite a few fields but you can leave some blank

For some fields there will be a default value,

If you enter '.', the field will be left blank.

-----

Country Name (2 letter code) [NL]:

State or Province Name (full name) [ZH]:

Locality Name (eg, city) [Woonplaats]:

Organization Name (eg, company) [VPN CA]:

Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:

Common Name (eg, your name or your server's hostname) []:User Full Name

Email Address [helpdesk@emaildomain]:

Please enter the following 'extra' attributes

to be sent with your certificate request

A challenge password []:

An optional company name []:

Using configuration from /local/openvpn/easy-rsa/openssl.cnf

DEBUG[load_index]: unique_subject = "yes"

Error reading certificate request in username.csr

20617:error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:pem_lib.c:637:Expecting: CERTIFICATE REQUEST