Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows TAP shows unplugged status even though VPN is working

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows TAP shows unplugged status even though VPN is working
  • From: John Conneely <john278@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:59:23 -0500

Mike Haun wrote:
On 5/29/07, John Conneely <john278@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have bridged my TAP device with a local lan, and my VPN is working
quite well.  However, when I disconnect and reconnect the VPN, the
ethernet TAP device still shows up as unplugged in the notification
area.  If I double click on the TAP in the network connections control
panel and hit "OK", the status is correctly updated as connected.
However, if openvpn goes down and up again, it shows the "unplugged"
status until I repeat the process.  I'm using OpenVPN 2.0.9 on Windows
XP.

Is this a known issue, or something specific to my setup?  Would
upgrading to the 2.1 release candidate help?

Thanks!

John

John,
Are you using XP on the client side?  Do you connect to the vpn first, then bridge or the other way round?  Is it a routed or bridged set up to the server?  On the client side, do you have any other devices connecting to the vpn server through your client?

The other side is Linux.  It's peer-to-peer in that both try to initiate outgoing connections with each other.  (Is that bad?)  In most of my tests, I fire up the Windows side last, but I just tried stopping the Linux side and restarting it after it timed out on the windows side.  The tap device on the windows side still shows unplugged even though the VPN is back up & functional.

On the Linux side, it's routed.  It uses a tap device, and the Linux box has an IP address that is on the local lan, and a separate one that is on the remote lan, and routes packets between the subnets.  Contrast that with the windows side which has only one IP address because it uses a bridge.

Thanks!

John