Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Royalty

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Royalty
  • From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 07:58:32 -0500

Henric Rosvall wrote:
> Just to see if I've gotten your text right...
>
> If I have a software that can fetch data from a MySQL-server (And I
> believe the MySQL-JDBC-driver-jar is released under GPL 2), I only have
> to release the sourcecode to that part of the software that handles the
> database-communication, and uses the data from the database. The other
> classes that doesn't rely on accessing or using data from MySQL can be
> closed source?
> Or are "derived works" such a loose term, that all the code in the
> entire software has to be published if I wish to let the users access a
> MySQL-DB?  (And yes, I know you can buy a non-GPL-license from MySQL,
> but for arguments sake, lets say you can't)

I don't think a complicated "derived work" GPL case has been decided in
court, but if you actually include covered works as a part of your
larger work it would likely be considered to be derived.  If you provide
an interface that lets the end user choose additional components which
you don't include and aren't required for operation then it would not.
For example, you could build your product with BSD-licensed postgresql
(which I'd recommend anyway for other reasons) but design it so that the
end user could replace the jdbc with one of his choice if he wants a
different database.

I'm not a lawyer, but my impression of the reason there are GPL and
non-GPL versions of mysql is to require all products built with the GPL
version to be GPL'd themselves with the 'work as a whole' requirement.