Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Royalty

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Royalty
  • From: paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:17:30 +0200

Henric Rosvall schrieb:
> Just to see if I've gotten your text right...
>
> If I have a software that can fetch data from a MySQL-server (And I
> believe the MySQL-JDBC-driver-jar is released under GPL 2), I only have
> to release the sourcecode to that part of the software that handles the
> database-communication, and uses the data from the database. The other
> classes that doesn't rely on accessing or using data from MySQL can be
> closed source?
Usually the line is drawn between linking and IPC. Thats exacly why the
LGPL exists as it allows linking. WRT jars, I'd say you can't mix GPL
jars and non-GPL jars since there are basically running in the same
interpreter/address space and make up "one program". See also the FSFs
position:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html

Your only choice is to require the client to seperately download the
JDBC connector.
> Or are "derived works" such a loose term, that all the code in the
> entire software has to be published if I wish to let the users access a
> MySQL-DB? (And yes, I know you can buy a non-GPL-license from MySQL,
> but for arguments sake, lets say you can't)
Then don't use mysql.

cheers
  Paul