[Openvpn-users] keep alive traffic?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] keep alive traffic?
  • From: Roman Budzianowski <roman.j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 11:26:02 -0700

Hi all,

I got openvpn working between FC4 on my home LAN and clients on the
outside (OS X and Windows XP). Thank you for making it available. I
noticed that there is a lot of traffic even if the tunnel is not
actively used, every 5 seconds, some 240 bytes. Is this normal or my
setup is a problem? The most annoying part is that even if no tunnel
is open, my gateway netscreen 5XT reports every 5 seconds that the
VIP server is down, then up (filling up the log) suggesting frequent
network activity of the openvpn server. I am not a network guy, so
pardon my naivete. I'd appreciate any pointers.

Roman