Re: [Openvpn-users] Can I have more than one virtual ip scope on the VPN server?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Can I have more than one virtual ip scope on the VPN server?
  • From: Christopher Friedt <cfriedt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:55:12 +0200

Hi Arnstein,

We have somethiing similar at my company, where we have several 'zones'
which are each run as a separate openvpn instance. As far as I know
however, there is no way to do this without running multiple instances
of openvpn.

 From a programming perspective, having a configuration file that
identified zones wouldn't be so difficult to realize. Would anyone be up
for the task?

I think what Arnstein is implying is having an original openvpn instance
parse a text configuration file, and then have that process spawn either
several 'child threads' or child processes to serve each of the
specified zones.

Undoubtedly, this would probably introduce a few more security /
heuristic considerations as well.

Since we're on the topic of features anyway, does anyone else think that
it would be valuable to have a DB handle the key / certificate records
as opposed to easy-rsa? SQLite maybe? A more general DB layer?

I wouldn't mind volunteering to put together a zone parser for openvpn
configuration files if other people, and the openvpn maintainers,
express some interest.

~/Chris