[Openvpn-users] SMB/CIFS and Apple File Protokol

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] SMB/CIFS and Apple File Protokol
  • From: Timm Wimmers <timm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 00:59:41 +0200

Hello,

we did a working tunnel and Administration of our network from road
works well (Remote Desktop, typing "shutdown -r now" over ssh, check
backups, making "booh" to fellow worker etc.)

If I establish a FTP connection over the tunnel to any host behind the
OpenVPN server (to the office), I get a upstream about 35 KB/s and
downstream round about 320 KB/s. That seems ok to me, I had never get
more than that (with or without tunnel).

But if I try to connect to a Server via SMB/CIFS or AFP, well that's
horrible, like a wooden modem with a broken hand crank lever.

Is there anything I can do? Every more byte that goes to the line will
be a miracle.

I did some sniffing over the tun device on the client side (but I'm not
a networker and these traffic logfiles looks like, like babylon speeks
to me). But what makes me a little bit nervoues, is that around only
every third packet is fulle size (something around 1406) and the other
packets are really short lets say 40 - 110 bytes. That isn't much -
right eh?

Why is SMB/CIFS and/or AFP talking so much in such small packets - it is
that, when talking networking people about protocol overhead? That's not
funny - it's faster to drive to the office, burn a CD and come back.

Any ideas?

Thank you.