[Openvpn-users] FW: UDP connection using Verizon EVDO card on Vista

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] FW: UDP connection using Verizon EVDO card on Vista
  • From: "Ed Noepel" <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 06:29:04 -0400

I can connect to my OpenVPN server using UDP (only) on Vista over Ethernet
or WiFi.  Using proto tcp-client has never worked under Vista for me, but
that isn't my issue here.  Verizon Wireless is my EVDO provider; they
provide an application called VZAccess to establish a PPP connection using
EVDO.  Upon connection, internet connectivity works fine, both TCP and UDP.

When I try to connect my OpenVPN client with my EVDO PPP connection,
authentication handshake succeeds, but the OpenVPN client is unable to add a
route to the remote network.  So, the OpenVPN client tray icon is a happy
green, but I cannot ping anything on the remote network.  The following
lines appear in the client log:

Tue May 22 22:53:55 2007 ROUTE: route addition failed using
CreateIpForwardEntry: One or more arguments are not correct.   [status=160
if_index=12]
The route addition failed: The object already exists.
Tue May 22 22:53:55 2007 ROUTE: route addition failed using
CreateIpForwardEntry: One or more arguments are not correct.   [status=160
if_index=12]
The route addition failed: The object already exists.

The client is being Run as Administrator when this happens.   In my client
config file, I have tried both

pull route

-and-

route-method exe
route-delay 2

Neither seem to work.

One interesting experiment I performed was to establish a working OpenVPN
connection using WiFi.  I did a ping -t on a remote machine; the pings all
worked fine.  I then started VZAccess and established the PPP connection.
Immediately thereafter, the remote machine stopped responding to ping, even
though the OpenVPN connection was established over another adapter which I
did not disturb.  Something strange is going on with the routing tables.

Any help is greatly appreciated.