[Openvpn-users] Public subnet behind a NAT

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Public subnet behind a NAT
  • From: "David Durrleman" <2ey7qm102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 22 May 2007 14:21:29 -0000
  • Encoding: 8bit

Hi,

I have setup a vpn between a linux computer with a routed public ip as a server,
and a linux computer with a NATed public ip as a client.

The client is on a public subnet xxx.xxx.156.0 netmask 255.255.252.0 and the
subnet is behind a NAT and not routed. The server is not on this subnet and I
would like it to be able to access the subnet via the vpn.

I have tried it with the instructions provided in the section "Including
multiple machines on the client side when using a routed VPN (dev tun)" of the
howto.

My ccd/client file contains "iroute xxx.xxx.156.0 255.255.252.0", and my
configuration file contains "route xxx.xxx.156.0 255.255.252.0" and "push "route
xxx.xxx.156.0 255.255.252.0"" (for my other machine on the vpn but it's
irrelevant here).

However when i start openvpn on the server, i lose all my connections to it from
the client, and i cannot initiate any new connections. This is i believe because
of the route statement : the server cannot answer to the client because it wants
to go through the vpn, but the vpn is not setup because the client cannot
contact the server.

So I wonder if it's possible to add a subnet which can only be accessed from the
client to the vpn, when this subnet is a public subnet (and so the public ip
address of the client is in the subnet range)