[Openvpn-users] FTP via OpenVPN over satellite - weirdness

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] FTP via OpenVPN over satellite - weirdness
  • From: "Iad Scoot" <iad.scoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:28:46 -0400

Hi,

OpenVPN 2.x on Linux with XP clients connecting over UDP. My users need to access a FTP server that I've put behind the VPN server. When connecting over a wired or 802.11 connection, it works fine but when trying to use a satellite link users are running into some odd problems. Now initially, no one could transfer more than 2-3 KB over the FTP when using the satellite before it would stall and time out. In doing some research, I ended up adding a MTU setting to the registry of the clients, changing the MTU size to 576.

Once this was done, connecting clients could download certain file types but not other file types. For example, text files and Office documents would download just fine but PDF files and exe's stall almost immediately. I'm guessing this is a compression issue but I am not sure at this point where to look. The filetypes in question download fine when not using the satellite and FTP that is not encapsulated by the VPN works fine.

Any thoughts, experiences, or ideas?

Thanks..