[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN client in bridging mode on Winows XP

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN client in bridging mode on Winows XP
  • From: Timm Wimmers <timm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 11:27:00 +0200

Hello List,

we've a FreeBSD OpenVPN server listening to the wolrd on UDP port 1194.

Structure from server to client as followed:

OVPN Server:	192.168.100.248

		On same LAN we found:
		DHCP Server at 192.168.100.2
		DNS  Server at 192.168.100.2

Router/GW:	192.168.100.1 (forwards UDP 1194 to ..100.248)

+----------+
| Internet |
+----------+

DSL-Modem
Router/GW:	192.168.1.254 (forwards UDP 1194 to 192.168.1.65)

OVPN Client:	192.168.1.65 fix IP, connected via WLAN

As soon as I bridge the WLAN adapter on the WindowsXP client together
with the TAP device, I can't connect to anything else (no route to ANY
host, except localhost!). The WLAN LED says that I'm connected to my
WLAN router. Am I missing some critical setting in the bridge or in the
TAP device?

I've tried to set the bridge manually to the same IP settings as the
WLAN interface before I enabled the bridge - it doesn't work.

If I don't bridge the TAP device to the WLAN interface I can connect to
the server and the TAP-Device gets the IP as configured in the
server.conf - so the connection itselve and the key- or certificate
management works well (I think).

So what is going wrong with bridging on my WindowsXP client?

Thank you.

Timm
--
You're fitting a hypothesis to a problem.That's dangerous
troubleshooting and a very bad practice. Don't do it.