[Openvpn-users] Multiple machines on client side when using bridged mode

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Multiple machines on client side when using bridged mode
  • From: "Mike Haun" <mike.haun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 14:56:25 -0400

Hello list,

I currently use OpenVPN in bridged mode and I must say, it is the greatest!  I have the desire to include some additional machines on the client side.  I have tried with several different settings, but have not hit upon the right settings yet.  My configuration is a Linux box as my OpenVPN server (in bridge mode), and the client is a Windoze XP professional.

In the Howto, there is a great section under the "scope" heading that addresses how to Include multiple machines on the client side when using a bridged VPN (dev tap).  The only problem is it doesn't give much detail when you're trying to actually configure it.  It only indicates that it's more complicated to explain in this particular mode.  I have spent numerous hours reading everything I can find on the subject, but so far have not been successful in being able to properly connect to my OpenVPN server while having my tap and ethernet connection bridged together.  I have followed all the write ups, but sometimes I get confused on which ip address has to be manually configured, and where?

I have seen a couple instances where others have posted the same problem, but there are no responses on those!

Has anyone done this setup?  If so, can you provide me a little assistance?  I am very familiar with both routed and bridged modes, but just can't get this one figured out!

Many thanks,
Mike