[Openvpn-users] VPN setup questions

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] VPN setup questions
  • From: "Mark Berry" <mberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 18:29:35 +0100

Hi, I’m looking to setup a vpn, and I’m looking for suggestions on how to go about it.

Problem.

Multiple sites with varying internet connections, some on fixed ip’s, some not, some behind corporate firewalls. This has problems that I’m sure openvpn can solve that some of the pricy quotes involving vpn concentrators don’t. Sites are all using class c offline address ranges (192.168.x.x) and are all unique (or should be). All PC’s on site have fixed ips. I want to be able to access PC’s via VNC etc. Windows networking does not need to be cross site, although it would be nice.

What I want. Entrance via a single point for roadwarriors, site to site communication, a closed system so no external access allowed from any of the pc’s on site.

How I want it to work. Sites are sent a pre configured router (I want to use cheap routers running either dd-wrt or openwrt, I have some Buffalo whr-g54s routers already). Roadwarriors are all using Windows.

The way I think it can work. Use a single server on the internet to take all connections, site routers and roadwarriors connect to this.

I’m pretty sure this can be achieved using openvpn, on the shoestring budget I have. But what is the best way to go about it? Routed or bridged? I’m leaning towards routed.

Advice, suggestion etc all welcome. Thanks for your time and any help in advance.

Cheers, Mark

--

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it.

This email has come from a server controlled by Supporting IT. We use a strict anti-spam solution that includes the use of SPF (information can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework and http://www.openspf.org/) Should you have any complaints as to this email, you can address them to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Supporting IT can also be contacted on 0144 2818 148

Thank you for your co-operation.