Re: [Openvpn-users] TAP for OSX 10.4?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] TAP for OSX 10.4?
  • From: Angelo Laub <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 02:54:30 +0200

>> Does anyone know of a stable TAP driver for OSX 10.4 that either
>> picks a
>> MAC and sticks with it or allows a MAC to be assigned?
> I use this one http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~nissler/tuntap/, but
> just
> use the tun device. According to c't 9/07 (german computer
> magazine) OS
> X misses poll() for character devices, hence tap won't work.
> Looking at
> ifconfig I actually have a tap0 device, maybe they are wrong and it
> works just fine ;)

Both the tun and the tap parts of the driver work fine. They have
been extensively tested by many people with the Mac OpenVPN client
Tunnelblick (http://tunnelblick.net ). If you're looking for an easy
to use OpenVPN client, Tunnelblick might be right for you as it
includes the latest (and known to be working) tun/tap driver and puts
an icon in the menubar from where you can connect and disconnect
OpenVPN connections.

Angelo