Re: [Openvpn-users] Bridging and external dhcp server

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Bridging and external dhcp server
  • From: Norbert Wegener <norbert.wegener@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:35:48 +0200

Hello Willy,
the server is a linux machine with openvpn 2.0.9, the client a natted
linux with openvpn 2.0.6.
The client's config file is:

dev tap0
ca /etc/openvpn/ca.crt
cert /etc/openvpn/client1.crt
key /etc/openvpn/client1.key
port 1194
ping 15
ping-restart 45
verb 9

I've  put  logs at http://www.wegener-net.de/openvpn
There are some warnings, but I don't think, they are critical, as the
connection comes up, with server-bridge enabled.
I hope, this information is sufficient.

Willy Offermans schrieb:
> Hello Norbert,
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 05:11:08PM +0200, Norbert Wegener wrote:
>> With the following server config file I get a bridged connection and
>> everything works as expected:
>> tls-server
>> server-bridge
>> dev tap0
>> proto udp
>> resolv-retry infinite
>> user nobody
>> group nobody
>> persist-key
>> persist-tun
>> ca /etc/openvpn/2.0/keys/ca.crt
>> cert /etc/openvpn/2.0/keys/server.crt
>> key /etc/openvpn/2.0/keys/server.key
>> dh /etc/openvpn/2.0/keys/dh1024.pem
>> Now I want to use the local dhcp server to provide addresses to clients.
>> Therefore I commented out the server-bridge directive.
>> Restarting server and client  on both sides I get an :
>>  Initialization Sequence Completed
>> Unfortunately that's it.
>> I would have expected to see some dhcp requests on the server, but I
>> cannot see one on any interface.
>> So the connection does not come up.
>> What am I missing?
>> Thanks
>> Norbert Wegener
> Although I'm missing some crucial details, I will try to help you. Did
> the client ``request'' an IP address from the DHCP server? It sounds
> silly, but is important.
> Since you understand what you are doing and you have a working
> connection, you are quite close to the solution, so don't despair!
> P.S. Give us some more details about server and client.

Openvpn-users mailing list