[Openvpn-users] Openvpn newbie question

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Openvpn newbie question
  • From: "Stephen O'Donnell" <stephen.odonnell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:41:46 +1000

Guys,

I have been pouring over the documentation attempting figure out how to setup the simplist VPN possible, and I am getting quite confused - this is my problem:

I am staying away from home, and I have internet access but only to standard web ports (80, 443, etc), so I cannot access my home machine over ssh as normal, or access some other internet services I use that don't run on port 80.

My home machine is a linux router that has NAT and an iptables firewall setup and I can access it remotely.  It has a public IP address, and a local IP 192.168.0.1 (two NIC cards).

I would like to create a VPN to my home machine (that I can run on port 443 on the server so I can access it from my remote location), so I can make all traffic from the client PC go over the VPN into my home machine, which will provide the bridge to the internet.  I guess what I really want is to use my home machine as a proxy for all my traffic, effectively bypassing the gateway firewall rules at my current location which I cannot change.

My home machine is Linux, the client will be Windows XP.  IP address at the client location are all 192.168.0.x.

What is the simplist configuration I can use achive my goal?  Encryption is not even important, and I will be the only user, so it doesnt have to scale!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen.