[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN client - multiple ISPs - possible?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN client - multiple ISPs - possible?
  • From: "Matt Westveld" <mwestveld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 11:52:19 -0400

Ok – I have a strange scenario – any ideas on this?

We have our OpenVPN 2.0.6 server at a datacenter hosting site with lots of bandwidth and redundant connections on one IP – so that part is fine

We have one office that the only cost effective connection setup would be multiple DSL/cable links – a single high-bandwidth connection would be $1000s more per month.

One theory was to use 3 different routers, and hard-wire the 3 subnets behind them, but that creates some in-efficiency for the local devices talking across the VPN instead of locally.  Printing from the local machines would be very slow, etc.

Another scenario I’ve been thinking about is to have a router with 4 interfaces – local and 3 isp.  Then run 3 instances of the openvpn client – tun0, tun1, tun2.  Point each of these tunnels over a specific ISP interface.  Point specific traffic over the tunx device that is proper, maybe by device/ip or maybe by service (eg: all mail sending goes out tun0, all RDP traffic tun1, etc.)

Now the part I can’t figure out – the local subnet ( – will this confuse openvpn, since 3 clients would be configured to have the same subnet behind it?

Thanks for your time,

Matt Westveld