[Openvpn-users] Fwd: Printing on local LAN with Ethernet bridging

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Fwd: Printing on local LAN with Ethernet bridging
  • From: "Leonard Isham" <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 04:51:31 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: stephen123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stephen123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: May 1, 2007 2:41 AM
Subject: Printing on local LAN with Ethernet bridging
To: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>

We are starting to use OpenVPN. Thank you James Yonan and everyone who has
worked on the program. This is my first time on a mailing list.
The program is mostly working. I set up an ethernet bridge. Each side can
see the
computers on the other side. However there is a problem on the client
side. When not
connected to OpenVPN, all computers on the client side can see each other
and the network printer, a Canon MFC 8170c. When OpenVPN is
connected All computers can see each other but the XP home computer
running OpenVPN can not see the printer(ping fails). The other 2 computers
can however (One is millenium, one is Win98SE). I have not tried printing
across the  openVPN yet.

##### The Server machine has 2 ethernet cards.
# Running XP pro
# The router is The DHCP is 192.168.2-40.
# Port 1194 is forwarded in router.
# The first ethernet card is
# The second card is bridged. The bridge is set to Firewall

##### the Client machine in the second office has 2 ethernet cards.
# Running XP Home
# The router is
# Port 1194 is forwarded in router.
# The first ethernet card is
# The second card is bridged. The bridge is Firewall disabled.
# The other computers are and 138.
# The networked printer is

# Server side config file using ethernet bridging.
port 1194
proto udp
dev tap
dev-node OpenVPN
ca ca.crt
cert server.crt
key server.key  # This file should be kept secret
dh dh1024.pem
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
push "persist-key"
push "persist-tun"
ping-restart 60
resolv-retry 86400
push "ping-restart 60"
status openvpn-status.log
verb 3
mute 10
push "route"

####### Client Side config file
dev tap
dev-node OpenVPN
proto udp
remote icaoaklandcamera.dyndns.org 1194
resolv-retry infinite
resolv-retry 86400
ca ca.crt
cert  client4.crt
key client4.key
ns-cert-type server
verb 3
mute 10

##### I would like to post what I have found about testing openVPN with
DSL and dialup.
##### But I do not know how to do it.

The problem. Testing openVPN. I have DSL at home for the Server side of
openVPN. The
client side is a mile or 2 away, very inconvienient. So I set up dial up
at home for
testing. Here is what I found. An internal modem does not work. The
response to pinging
is too slow. Sometimes I would get 1,2 or even 4 replies with time=1500ms
about. But then
it would fail on repeating the pinging. The solution is an external
hardware mode. Even
thought the ping time is slow it works and is consistent.

Leonard Isham
> Stephen,
> A few suggestions:
> With no subject many people will ignore your original message.
> With no real details most people who do read it will not bother to reply.
> Now as to details. What you stated was like I have 3 cars two work
> properly and one doesn't. No details = no answer.
> What are the config files w/o the comments, what is the local ip subnet,
> etc.
> Give yourself the best chance to get help.
> On 4/28/07, stephen123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stephen123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I can not print or ping from an XP home SP2 machine to a local ethernet
>> printer when openVPN is connected. I can print and ping from 2 millenium
>> computers on the LAN when connected. When I disconnect the print job
>> goes
>> through and I can ping the printer from all 3 computers. I can ping and
>> connect to the 2 millenium computers (on the local LAN) when connected
>> openVPN. The connection is an ethernet bridge. Both sides can see each
>> other's computers.
>> The trouble is on the client side. On the server side both the XP and
>> Win98 computers can print to their local LAN whether or not the openVPN
>> is
>> connected.
>> PS I could not get the bridge to work until I installed 2 ethernet cards
>> on the server side. I also installed 2 ethernet cards on this client
>> side.
>> One other client connection works fine with only one card. It connects
>> from a Win2K machine.
> --
> Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it,
> Leonard Isham, CISSP
> Ostendo non ostento.
> http://sec-soapbox.blogspot.com/index.html

Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it,

Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.
OpenVPN mailing lists