[Openvpn-users] Running OpenVPN server and client on the same TCP port

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Running OpenVPN server and client on the same TCP port
  • From: Victor Chang <victor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:28:52 -0700

Hi,

Due to firewall restrictions, I have a linux box that need to run both
OpenVPN server and client on the same TCP port.  I have searched through
the mail archives and didn't come across a related thread, so I went
ahead and test the setup in the lab.  Thus far this appears to work as
the client session jumps from the initial lport to a high port after the
initial connection, and the stateful firewall (separate box in between
the two VPN endpoints) allows the session to continue.  OpenVPN server
session starts the tap interface w/o complaints.

[Linux Box]
OpenVPN server config: tcp port 5000, tap0
OpenVPN client config: tcp lport 5000, remote tcp port 5000, tap1

Has anyone tried similar setup?  Are there any precautions with this setup?

Thanks,
-Victor